Kosta Boda

 

Kosta glass factory and Kosta Boda

The Kosta glass factory was founded in 1742 by the county chancellors Anders Koskull and Georg Borgislaus Steal von Holstein. The fist glass blowers immigrated from Germany. The time of prominence for Kosta started at the end of the 1800-ies when the lead crystal was introduced together with the technique of deep cutting. Typical examples from that time are the “Dukat” bowl and the “Tsar” bowl, weighing 35 kilograms before, and 10 kilograms after cutting.  At this time, of Nouveau Art, the first designers were employed, Gunnar Wennerberg and Alf Wallander. Together with Axel Enoch Boman the designed over lay glass with sand blasted flower patterns, following the shape and technique that had been developed by Gallé at Daum in France. During the 1910-ies Edvin Ollers and Sten Branzell were active at the factory, and for a short period during the 20-ies artist Ewald Dahlskog designed art glass that has become much appreciated. Elis Bergh worked a long time at Kosta and he designed numerous glass services, more than any other designer at any of the glass factories. During the 1930-ies and 40-ies Sev Erik Skawonius and Tyra Lundgren were active at the factory, and in the 50-ies Vicke Lindstrand joined, after leaving Orrefors.  Lindstrand revived the engraved glass in different forms. Mona Morales Schildt introduced color in the cut glass. Ann and Göran Wärff started at Kosta in the 1960-ies and renewed the design. At that time Kosta and Boda Åfors factories had joined in the Åfors company under the leadership of Erik Rosén. The glass from all three factories was sold under the name Kosta Boda but the different artists and the products of the three factories are easily separated.

Designers at Kosta in the end of the 1900-ies were among others Lisa Bauer, Bengt Edenfalk, Anna Ehrner, Paul Hoff, Gun Lindblad, Gunnel Sahlin, Rolf Sinnemark, Cristian von Stdow, Klas-Göran Tinbäck, Ann Wåhlström. In the 2000-ies the young artists Åsa Jungnelius and Ludvig Löfgren were employed.

Boda glas factory was founded in 1864 and was producing high quality glass services with Fritz Kallenberg as designer during the 1920-ies and 30-ies, but the reputation as an internationally well know glass factory came about in the 1950-ies after Erik Rosén became director and employed the young artist Erik Höglund as designer. Höglund was the initiator of the “revolution” in Swedish art glass, a radical change from the traditional style of “Swedish grace”. He was very versatile in his creativity and designed not only glass but also in iron, bronze and wood. In the 60-ies Monica Backström came to Boda and in the 70-ies Kjell Engman, During shorter periods also Signe Persson Melin worked as designer at Boda.

The conglomerate Orrefors Kosta Boda Inc appeared in 1990. Times became difficult and in 2003 the Boda factory was closed. After the transfer to New Wave Group Inc in 2005 the reduction have continued, and Kosta is the only remaining glass factory of the group.

 

Art glass from this glassworks

Sculpture
Monica Backström
SOLD
Bowl
Erik Höglund
SOLD
Vase 1920-ies
Elis Bergh
SOLD
Sculpture "Indian"
Kjell Engman
Vase, engraved
Vicke Lindstrand
Vase, slipgraal
Vicke Lindstrand
Vase
Anna Ehrner
SOLD
Vase
Gunnel Sahlin
SOLD
Sculpture "Power of Growth"
Monica Backström
Decanter
Göran Wärff
SOLD
Vase and bowl
Ulrica Hydman Vallien
Plate, cut pattern
Gun Lindblad
SOLD
Plate
Erik Höglund

Copyright Galleri Landborg 2013-2017.